The Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA) is one-off support from the Australian Government to help young people who are leaving Care to meet some of the costs involved in moving to independent living.
If you are eligible for TILA you can get assistance of up to $1,500 in paying for some of the things you need to successfully make the transition to independence.
Recent News & Updates
20.03.2013 - End of Financial year reminder
We are once again approaching the end of the financial year and a friendly reminder if you have any outstanding paperwork including completed applications for submission, receipts for reimbursement or to finalise applications, send these in as soon as possible. In addition a couple of other general reminders:
- The TILA allowance is not an emergency payment. To avoid delays please submit applications well in advance (at least three to four weeks) prior to the young person's expected or anticipated transition to independent living to accommodate the assessment and payment processes.
- When submitting quotes with your application please complete the TILA Payment Form available from the Downloads page.
- Where your service has selected Option 1 and you have received approval please ensure receipts are forwarded within 28 days. Taking longer than this without advising TILA staff slows processing for other applicants as this necessitates contacting referring workers for outstanding paperwork.
20.09.2011 - Completing the Application Form
A reminder to referring workers to carefully answer questions in the application. In particular some referring workers are not answering the following questions correctly:
- D.5 (pg.3) - If the young person is currently living in private rental or public housing, please enter the date they began their tenancy
- D.7 (pg.3) - Currently in Formal Care (State Care)
- D.8 (pg.3) - Previously in Formal Care
- D.9 (pg.3) - Currently in Informal Care. Definition can be found in the glossary
- D.9.1 (pg.3) - Previously in Informal Care. In addition, please identify the type of informal care in the box provided.
- D.10 (pg.3) - To reach this question you have responded that the young person has not been in Formal or Informal Care or they are in Indigenous Kinship Care.
- Part F (pg.5) - If the young person is transitioning within 6 weeks please indicate in F.5 the date this will occur if known or approximate as close as possible. Some referring workers are relying on the response in E.6 at the top of page 5. Please note applications cannot remain open indefinitely. Once approved the application must be acted upon within 28 days. If the young person is not moving for some time please inform TILA staff.
- Attachment B (pg.10) - A Centrelink Officer must stamp the form, sign and answer all questions. Please check before submitting to avoid delays for your service and for processing.
- TILA Payment Form - This form must be completed by the referring worker when submitting quotes for supplier payments or when submitting receipts for reimbursement and is used by our administration staff to generate payment. The form is available on the download page as a separate download or included in the TILA Application Package.
Your cooperation is appreciated and will assist TILA staff by improving processing times.
28.11.2010 - New Application Form Available
A new version of the TILA Application Form is available for download by visiting the Downloads page. The new version filename is appended with "November2010".
? When do applications need to be on the new form?
A Applications can be submitted on the new form as of now - the 28th November 2010. If an application is received at the TILA Office after the 31st January 2011 on an old form, the referring organisation will be instructed to resubmit the application on the new form. This includes supporting documentation (Attachment A and B) as these have changed as well.
? What is the date that old applications will not be accepted?
A Applications received from the 1st February 2011 not on a new form will not be accepted. There have been changes to the application form as well as Attachment A and B which make the information collected on these old forms, incomplete.
What is TILA?
Copyright © 2011 TILA | Helpline: 1300 761 961 | Fax: 02 4228 4613 | Email: | Post: TILA PO Box 23 Wollongong NSW 2520